Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Second Take


This weekend, I had the good fortune to go to a drive-in theater on Double-Feature for $7 a Car-Load Night. We saw Kung Fu Panda and Get Smart and although it meant that I didn't get home till around 2:30 Saturday morning, the weather was perfect for an outdoor movie and I came away with these two convictions that I need to share.

1) In retrospect, I was much too hard on KFP the first time around. It had a lot more laughs and heart than I remember. I stand by my original sentiment that's it's not overly original and the audience can pretty much see the jokes coming on down the pike, but it's still goofy good fun, especially if you can tap that inner reservoir of kid.

My first take on the Furious Five was accurate. They are pretty bland and useless. The same (sadly) goes for Dustin Hoffman.

Oogway, the ancient Kung Fu turtle was awesome the first time around and is even more so the second.

I also got it right the first time when I said the best scene involves Po's unique form of Kung Fu training.

It's not up to WALL-E's standards, but KFP is still a fun movie and I am now happy to recommend it. I don't know why I was in such a bad mood the first time around (I gave it a 2.5/5). It easily deserves a 3.5/5, maybe even approaching a 4/5.

2) I'm still in love with Anne Hathaway. I hear she's newly single...

No comments: